Thursday, May 24, 2007

What's on your list of things to do before you die?

My list is one item shorter now!

Wow! So... Two weeks ago today, on May 10th. I fulfilled one of the "dreams" on my list of things to do before I die. I visited Machu Picchu, the Incan ruins in Peru. Truly one of the most incredible, and profound things I have ever done or seen in my life. I can't really explain it, but it just was. We got up really early so we could see the sunrise, but when we got up there, it was totally fogged in. We were kind of prepared for that, because most of the guide books mentioned that it happens frequently, and to be patient because it always burns off.

It ended up being nearly perfect BECAUSE of the fog. It was as if the mountain was magically revealing herself and the surrounding peaks in a show just for us. Truly, we could only see maybe 20 yards in any direction, and were completely unaware of the majestic peaks that were directly in front of us, but hidden by the clouds. With the passing of time, the fog would lift a little here, revealing an ancient structure to our view. Just enough to whet our appetite and reward our patience. Cameras came out and pictures taken, only to have the fog reclaim the view. Moments later the fog would lift for a peek at a distant peak, again showing off some of her secrets. Over the course of about 2 hours, the fog had pretty much lifted for good and an amazing vista revealed for all to enjoy! We walked around for ages, exploring little rooms, looking out windows and wondering at the wonder of it all. The stone used for these structures is not indigenous to this mountain top, further adding to the mystery of the place.

Some of the girls from our group were determined to climb the sister peak of Wayna Picchu. Which was an ascent of probably 1000 feet. Very steep stone stairs all the way to the top. As we waited in line for our turn to sign in, I was almost sick to my stomach. All those fears and doubts from years and years of being overweight kept creeping into my head telling me I was crazy to try. I even left the line once, deciding that I could not do it, but then I realized I was half a world from home, and that THIS was the very reason I was in Peru, to experience Machu Picchu to the fullest extent, and that if I did NOT at least attempt the climb, I would regret it forever. So off we went! We were at about 8300 feet, so altitude took a little bit of a toll on my ability, but I just kept at it, slow and steady. Walk 10 steps, stop to let my heart beat slow down and catch my breath. It took about an hour and 20 minutes to make it, but I MADE IT ALL THE WAY TO THE TOP OF THE MOUNTAIN!!!!! A very significant mental AND physical victory for me! And the view... well, it is something that is burned into my memory for the rest of my days! I am an amazing and determined woman, and now I know that I can do ANYTHING! :) Go me, I rock!

1 comment:

Amber said...

AWESOME!! I need to see more of your pictures. That is an amazing story! I'm so glad that you did it. So much smaller but I hiked up Adams Canyon yesterday and did the same back and forth. I decided to go at the last minute and I was glad that I did. Why do we let things stop us from an enjoyable- REWARDING experience? I think you are amazing too!! :)

About Me

My photo
I am a killer softball player, and I have a spontaneous soul. I love to walk outside in my socks, I think because we were all told when we were young to not go outside in our socks, and now I buy my own socks. Some of the simple things in life that bring a quick, easy smile to my face are: finding a funky new font, little shoots of green pushing their way through the dirt in spring, driving through BIG, DEEP puddles and putting Bugles Snacks on my fingers and pretending that I have long fingernails.

Good News

What an Amazing View!

What an Amazing View!
the top of that peak in the background, is where I am standing in the next picture!

I'm up on top of the world...

I'm up on top of the world...
That is Machu Picchu way small in the background!

one more of Machu Picchu

one more of Machu Picchu
there is that peak that I climbed in the background again